So officially I start week 7 of this project and I wanted to do an update (I’m writing this during my 3 minute bag session breaks at home!) I’m officially down 30lbs, but I’ll get to that later.
A couple days ago I started realizing a few minor things that have changed in this 6 week time period, which to me is amazing b/c these things were a result of the way I’ve lived for 27+ years.
To be totally honest, these are very embarrassing things to admit, but I feel as if some people don’t fully understand how bad it is to be unhealthy and overweight. If you are going through these same issues, I hope that you’re aware of them and I hope you feel just as bad about letting things get to this point as I do. Then maybe you’ll realize you need change…
1. I no long breath heavy after walking up the stairs to get to my condo from the parking garage.
2. Yesterday I was getting ready for a wedding and after putting on a couple layers and a tie, I typically would have started sweating, in fact, I typically would start sweating no matter what I was doing or where I was going. Even if I got in a really long winded discussion, I would start to get a little warm and short of breath. In fact, I didn’t sweat at all yesterday and I realize that I haven’t been doing that as of recently anyways.
3. I’m not breathing heavy in general, I use to take these really deep “sighing” type breaths and I’m no longer doing that. I’ve become very aware of the breaths I take and I’m making sure to breath properly, not only in the gym but just through out the day.
Additional note: I’ve also started breathing through my nose more so than through my mouth….the way we should be breathing!
4. I can put on shoes and socks with out struggling. This one is by far the most embarrassing thing to admit…it use to be extremely uncomfortable to tie my shoes or even put them on.
5. There are A LOT of people out there really trying to get healthier and I love it…I’ve been meeting more people and getting to share my experiences thus far.
To me, the biggest thing is the sweating, it was always publicly visible and something you can’t hide. I think getting ready yesterday made me realize it the most, but it hasn’t happened at all and I’m not sure when that stopped.
As hard as it is to admit these daily struggles, I have no problem doing so because I am conquering them and I now know what I will never go back to. The only place I’m sweating these days is the gym and outside when I’m active….or hopefully when I’m relaxing outside during a beautiful chicago summer day.
Most importantly, I want people to know that they aren’t alone with some of the things they go through. But it doesn’t have to be that way. I know it’s not a good feeling inside and it tears you apart as a person. But you ARE better than that and you can easily change this. I’ve done it in 6 weeks with hard work and dedication. I’m not near where I want to be yet, but the changes are showing.
On another note, I did attend a family wedding as I stated and the last time everyone saw me was Christmas. I didn’t actually start this journey until march 22nd. To be brutally honest, I’m not happy with the results yet, but that’s not dragging me down…it is only pushing me harder. I do look in the mirror often and I’m wishing for more, but at the same time…I’ve lost 30lbs in 6 weeks. It’s just harder to see the results when you look at yourself every day.
But to my surprise a few of my cousins pulled me aside and told me they can notice a big difference and I can tell it wasn’t just a “you look good compliment”. I can tell now that probably everyone in my family was worried about me but no one really said anything. It’s a tough subject when you’re family and I can respect that. But they support me now and that’s all that matters. I was also extremely shocked when a couple made sure I wasn’t drinking….considering my family very much knows how to party! A night like last night made me realize more what an amazing family I’m a part of. Unfortunately I didn’t do any dancing mainly b/c I was dead tired from my 630am work out and it was a leg work out…but for the record I’m an amazing dancing, this cannot be denied.
I did mention how I’m not completely happy with the results and because of this I’m really committing myself over these next 6 months, that means no going out, no drinking…just focusing on my diet, working out, and getting treatments. I really hope if anyone wants to hang we can put in a good work out together and learn from each other or spend some time outside doing something active. This is just something I need to do to get right and get where I want to be. I know I’m going to hit a wall soon, but I want to be prepared for that.